Saturday, August 12, 2017

Drinking the Blues :)

Early this week, I shivered in my air-conditioned office and found myself craving a hot cup of tea (on a hot August afternoon, yuck). All I had at my desk was Earl Gray, and I don't care for Earl Gray! But I was desperate, so I brewed myself a cup.

I took one sip and regretted it instantly. Too flowery and pungent. Not the flavor for me. But I don't waste food, so I poured it into my thermos and took it home where I forgot about it it chilled in the fridge for several days.

Today I craved a smoothie, and I knew what the "secret ingredient" would be.
Mr. Whale wonders why blueberries aren't instead "violetberries."
Ingredients:
  • 1 C brewed Earl Gray tea
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 C milk
  • 1 Tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 Tbsp rolled oats
  • 1/2 C frozen blueberries

Directions:
  1. Combine tea and sugar in a small saucepan and reduce to a more syrupy consistency. Set aside.
  2. In blender container, add chia seeds and oats to milk. Place in refrigerator, 20-30 minutes while the tea cools.
  3. When the tea is room temperature, add it to the milk mixture.
  4. Add blueberries, blend, and enjoy.

Notes:
  • I had 1 Cup of tea to use up, so I needed more time to reduce it. Feel free to use less.
  • Cinnamon would be a great addition.
  • I added the chia/oats for a thick smoothie consistency. Banana could be substituted for the chia/oats... Just know banana has a tendency to overpower other flavors, so be mindful of your ingredient ratios.

No comments:

Post a Comment