Sunday, July 9, 2017

Strawberry Milkshake

I initially meant to make a smoothie but ended up with a dreamy beverage that rivals strawberry milkshakes I've ordered at popular fast food joints... and is healthier. Yep, I said it.
I bet Kitty likes pink drinks.


Ingredients:
1 C frozen strawberries
2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C milk

Directions:
Blend until smooth, then enjoy!

As you can see, there's no cream in this recipe.  And I promise you won't miss it.  I used non-fat milk, and my milkshake was plenty thick and creamy.  I'm using a spoon to get the last slurp out of my glass as I type this.  Yum.

I like to buy fresh summer strawberries at the farmers market and freeze them for smoothies all year round. Give your berries a gentle scrub, remove the hull, then cut them in half before freezing.  The flavor of those strawberries in this milkshake is a definite win over artificial flavorings.

Feel free to substitute your sweetener of choice and adjust the amount to your taste. Honey would be fantastic.  Or leave sugar out altogether if you like.

Thinking out loud here... If we were to double the amount of frozen strawberries, I think we'd have something similar to strawberry ice cream! Technically, it'd be ice milk, but the consistency would be more like ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment